An industrial propane leak at Moon Fabricating on
West Morgan Street forced the evacuation of dozens of workers at three
businesses Friday morning.
Kokomo firefighters were dispatched to the facility at around 10 a.m.
after workers reported an employee had struck a 1,000-gallon propane
tank and knocked off a high-pressure vale, causing the gas to spew into
Kokomo Fire Chief Pat O’Neill said winds caused the gas to migrate east
towards the Coca-Cola Bottling of Kokomo plant and Rupert’s B & K
Firefighters evacuated the businesses and closed Morgan Street and
Davis Road as they worked to contain the leaking tank and monitored the
air to ensure it didn’t reach explosive levels, O’Neill said.
An on-duty hazardous response team was able to temporarily stop the
leak until a worker with propane-supplier AmeriGas arrived on scene and
permanently plugged the leak.
Employees were evacuated for about an hour and were allowed to
return to work once the tank was neutralized.
O’Neill said the quick response from firefighters prevented a
potentially “catastrophic” event.
“Our guys did a great job,” he said.
Carson Gerber can be reached at 765-854-6739,
email@example.com or on Twitter @carsongerber1.