HomeAbout KFD Apparatus Stations Shift Calendar Fire Prevention TipsNewsMedia Links

 
Source: Kokomo Tribune

Oakford home ravaged by early morning fire

By George Myers
    
OAKFORD - Various agencies responded early Friday morning to an Oakford house fire likely caused by a space heater.

Slightly after 5 a.m., the Kokomo Fire Department, Howard County Emergency Management Agency and the Taylor and Harrison township volunteer fire departments responded to a fire in the 1200 block of East 400 South.

All occupants were outside of the home and at a neighbor’s house when crews arrived, according to a KFD fire report.

The fire, which caused roughly $50,000 of damage, was likely caused by a recently modified space heater, according to Kokomo Fire Chief Nick Glover.

Glover said the homeowner told responding crews that he believed the fire was started by the space heater, and that crews later determined the story was consistent with the fire’s area of origin. The fire has been deemed accidental, said Glover.

Glover, who said there were no working fire detectors in the home, reminded residents that KFD is supplying free smoke detectors at Station 1, 215 W. Superior St.  

George Myers can be reached at 765-454-8585, by email at george.myers@kokomotribune.com or on Twitter @gpmyerskt.



Web site designed and maintained by Jason Wheatley
Web site hosted by Host Gator