HomeAbout KFD Apparatus Stations Shift Calendar Fire Prevention TipsNewsMedia Links

 
Source: Kokomo Tribune

Kokomo firefighter injured while responding to blaze

Martin Slagter | Kokomo Tribune

A Kokomo firefighter suffered minor injuries after falling through the floor while responding to a blaze Wednesday morning (December 30, 2015) on West Monroe Street.

The Kokomo Fire Department received a call at 5:32 a.m. Wednesday to a vacant property at 319 W. Monroe St., where a fire had been set intentionally in the front of the structure, Kokomo Fire Chief Nick Glover said.

Shortly after arriving on the scene, Glover said firefighter Landen Bartley was injured after the fire had burned through the first floor of the structure, causing him to fall into the basement.

Bartley was taken to the hospital, where he was treated for injuries to his hand and wrist. He was released later Wednesday morning.

Hes going to go see an orthopedic surgeon, but he has been released from the hospital, Glover said.

Glover said all of the utilities were shut off inside the vacant building, which was divided into three different apartments. The fire was set in the front apartment.

Glover said pour patterns revealed an accelerant had been used to start the fire.

Despite having to delay extinguishing the fire temporarily to assist Bartley, the fire took less than an hour to put out. Glover estimated the fire resulted in about $25,000 to $30,000 in damage.

The fire remains under investigation. Anyone with information is asked to contact the KFD at 765-457-2636.



Web site designed and maintained by Jason Wheatley
Web site hosted by Host Gator