HomeAbout KFD Apparatus Stations Shift Calendar Fire Prevention TipsNewsMedia Links

 
Source: Kokomo Tribune

June 7, 2012

House fire leaves two injured

Victims are being treated for smoke inhalation.

By Rob Burgess 
Tribune night editor

Kokomo — A fully-involved house fire Thursday night sent two residents suffering from smoke inhalation to the hospital.

The blaze began at around 10:15 p.m. in the 200 block of East Murden Street. As first-responders swarmed the scene, the road was littered with groups of onlookers clutching each other, bathed in flashing lights.

Kokomo Fire Department Battalion Chief Dave King said that one of the wounded was already outside once they arrived.

"The other we rescued from the rear of the house," he said.

One of the first on scene was Keith Barnett, a neighbor who had been sitting in his garden when he saw the flames.

"I ran over," he said, as tears streaked down his face. "I couldn’t get through. The flames overwhelmed me … That’s my buddy, man. I know them real well."

King said both residents of the rental home were transported to St. Joseph Hospital.

"The latest report is that they’re both doing well," he said. "They did both receive a pretty high dose of carbon dioxide, but they did not appear to have been burned."

King said he had no initial indication what may have caused the fire. The present condition of the patients was not available as of press time.

In addition to St. Joseph Hospital paramedics and KFD personnel, the Kokomo Police Department was also amongst the responding agencies.

• Rob Burgess, Tribune night editor, may be reached by calling 765-454-8577 or via email at rob.burgess@kokomotribune.com.

Web site designed and maintained by Jason Wheatley
Web site hosted by Host Gator