HomeAbout KFD Apparatus Stations Shift Calendar Fire Prevention TipsNewsMedia Links

 
Source: Kokomo Tribune

Early morning fire damages Hacienda restaurant

By Cody Neuenschwander
    
KOKOMO – An early Wednesday morning fire to the roof of Hacienda Mexican Restaurant caused smoke damage to the interior of the building.

No injuries were reported, and the damage is estimated around $6,000, according to a Kokomo Fire Department report.

According to KFD Chief Nick Glover, the fire started in an air-handling unit on the roof, where it was contained. The fire report said fire personnel arrived on the scene at 1:07 a.m. and were there until 2:13 a.m.

No flames reached the interior of the restaurant, Glover said, but the building was filled with “heavy smoke.” He said the fire’s origin was most likely “mechanical in nature” and started with a problem in the air-handling unit.

The report indicates when fire fighters arrived there was smoke coming from the center of the roof, and from multiple vents. Infrared cameras revealed that there was no dangerous heat within the actual restaurant, but it was filling with smoke.

When fire fighters checked the vents on the roof, they found that the interior of the central air unit was completely involved in flame. It took them less than five minutes and 300 gallons of water to put out the blaze. Smoke from the roof was spread throughout the building via air vents.

Reports go on to say fire personnel conducted ventilation of the building before leaving the scene.

Following a phone call to Hacienda, a staff person who chose not to identify herself said staff planned to open the restaurant at around 4 p.m. Wednesday.

Cody Neuenschwander can be reached at 765-454-8570 or by email at cody@kokomotribune.com



Web site designed and maintained by Jason Wheatley
Web site hosted by Host Gator